Monday 7 January 2013

Leftover Apple Wrap

So I had this little bit of bought puff pastry, I never make it, tis too much trouble. I buy a ready made block, and only ever when I am about to make Jamie O's Turkey Pie.. The dish I use doesn't not require the use of the whole block of pastry, and I am always left with a 1/4 to a 1/3 of it...i always have good intentions of using it up, but it goes in the fridge and gets forgotten about.

Until today. I was determined to not throw it out, and set about searching for a recipe that only needed a little bit of pastry and not much filling..

I had downloaded a free recipe book on my ipod, and found a plum wrap recipe....now I didn't have any of the ingredients, but i figured I could make it work with what I had.

so this is what I did.

I rolled my pastry out and cut it into 4 squares. In a bowl I mixed a couple spoons of brown sugar, half a teaspoon of cinnamon,and some chopped walnuts.....( the nuts were also leftovers from xmas baking)

I sprinkled some of the mix in a diagonal line on each pastry square..I then added a few sultanas, (again leftover from xmas baking)


next I took an eating apple, that was starting to wrinkle, and needing using up. I peeled it and sliced it up.

I added the apple slices to the squares.



Next I sprinkled on the remaining sugar/cinnamon.



I then folded over one of the corners and then folded over the opposite corner, sealing them with milk. then I brushed milk over the whole thing.


I baked on gas mark 6/400F/205C  for approx 30mins, until they were golden brown. i then dusted them with icing sugar.


Finally I served with vanilla icecream....and they were delish... clearly you could substitute all kinds of fillings.


4 comments:

  1. This sounds very tasty!
    Thanks for the tip ...I never know what to do with the left over pastry...I don't know anyone who makes puff pastry these days ...and that includes cookery teachers!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look absolutely delicious. I love making pastry, so therapeutic, though short crust never puff which I don't particularly like.
    So this flexible recipe will be added to my repertoire and experimented with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look absolutely delicious. I love making pastry, so therapeutic, though short crust never puff which I don't particularly like.
    So this flexible recipe will be added to my repertoire and experimented with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother (grands raised me) used to do the same with her leftover pie crust. Sometimes there wasn't enough to make turnovers (we didn't have "wraps" back then, so she just cooked the crust using butter, cinnamon, and sugar. It was always to DIE FOR and her crust was so unlike others and much better than anything I could ever make. So the crust you used sounds like the perfect substitute.

    Not sure you saw my blog entry to the ARC, but I can't get the linky to show on my computer screen. In fact, I used my translator to leave this and the other message. But since I want to join your ARC, is there any way you can add me? I'll be ready on Jan. 25, too. Thank you in advance for helping me with this. I HATE blogger.

    http://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2013/01/tea-tuesday-with-darcy.html

    ReplyDelete