Sunday 11 December 2011

Postcard Challenge 2012

So our 52 Pages is almost at an end, and many people have asked me if I am doing a prompt challenge next year...well I  am...sort of. I will try and explain what I am going to do, and then if you would like to join in that would be wonderful.

I have a gorgeous set of books, 6 of them, in a wooden box by NICK BANTOCK , the books are the Griffin and Sabine series. I urge you to read them if you have not already, they are truly beautiful books.  The theme of the books is two people who correspond by postcard  and the books are full of the postcards.

Here is a link TO THE BOOKS on Amazon, you can look inside them.go and look they are beautiful.

I have loved these books for a long time, and decided that next year I am going to make my own book of postcards and create a story to go with them.

There is a button that you can grab, over there on the left...

So here is the challenge, based totally on the Nick Bantock books.

Step one ...create 2 characters, and 2 addresses.

now they can be 2 guys, 2 women, a man and a woman, 2 kids, 2 old people...whatever you want. the address can be anywhere in the world as long as they are fictitious. All you need to start with is a name for each person and an address for each person

Step two... cut out 52 postcards. You can use whatever you want, plain card, textured card, patterned card, watercolour paper...whatever you want, as long as they are 6inches x 4 inches.

If you wish to join in every week you will need 52, you may only want to join in fortnightly, or even monthly in which case you need less cards.

Step three...make or buy a book. you need enough pages for all your cards, depending on how often you are joining in.

Step four...decide how you will attach the cards into the book, you must be able to take them out..so you could use a pocket on each page...an envelope...or bought/hand made photo corners...

that's all you need to do for now.

On Monday 2nd January the challenge will begin. You will need to visit here to find out

...the first country...


this is a really long post, click to see the rest of it.x




each week I will post the name of a country. You then take inspiration from that country to decorate the front of your postcard. In whatever way you wish. you can stamp..collage...draw..paint...whatever you want, as long as it ties in somehow with that weeks country.

On the back of your postcard, make it look like a real postcard. A space for a stamp, some lines for an address..

then write your postcard....from one of your made up people(person A) to the other made up person(person B)

on week two....your postcard will be sent from person B to person A...and so on.

Now what do you write on your postcard?....well that is up to you.

your 2 people are strangers, so how do they have each others addresses? maybe thru an advert? maybe one found the others wallet and it had an address inside? maybe thru a penfriend organisation??

each week you will write from one to the other, asking questions, maybe answering questions, giving snippets of information so these 2 strangers can get to know each other.

perhaps one is a glamorous model, and will talk about her job...maybe one is a travel journalist and will write about the country...maybe one is a spy and will be mysterious...think how your people are able to travel so much...

here is a list of possible peoples to help you;

military..retired people..actors..travel journalist..secret agent..politician..author..designer..event organiser..lottery winner..food critic..dancer..muscian..athlete..researcher..pilot..flight attendant..cabin crew on a cruise...archaeologist..wildlife photographer...spokesperson...time traveller...

IT IS UP TO YOU...have fun with these characters, make them flamboyant, silly, adventurous.

I don't want you to panic and think...OMG I cannot write a story...this is going to be a series of short conversations between 2 people, grammar and composition is not important.

Have you ever picked u a really old postcard and read the message on the back and wondered who this person was, who were they writing to, what kind of life did they have? I am fascinated by these little glimpses into strangers lives. you can make your 'story' elaborate if you want, adding in names of families and details of jobs etc, or you can keep them simple. have fun...fun..fun playing with these characters and their lives.

when your postcard is written post a photo of the front and the back on your blog, this should be done sometime fri-sun each week, ready for the new country to be posted the following Monday.

We will all want to visit each others blogs to read the unfolding stories each week.

and then pop your card into your book. The reason for keeping them in a book is so they are always kept in order, should you want to read them again in the future.

If you want to decorate the page of the book too that is up to you. If you do I suggest using the country as your inspiration for that too.


So are you interested???

My friend Dede has a fabulous show on making a book from file folders which would be perfect for this project. Watch her show HERE...

this is the book that I have made..

I stitched signatures together...




















Made a book cover and covered it with wrapping paper in a travel theme.. I added maps to the inside covers.. I then glued an envelope on some pages and stuck photo corners on other pages..















It is already chunky....love it...



















I super glued an old belt around it, to keep it closed and to make it look like an old travel journal...















here is the back of my postcard.. I have a bagful of old postage stamps from around the world, so on most of my postcards I will actually be able to use a real stamp from that country.













and here it is in the book. I still need to decorate the page around it.



















you will have to come back in January to see the postcard properly and to read the start of my story on the back.


So are you interested in joining in? I do hope so. I would love to come visit your blogs, to see your cards and to read your unfolding story between your 2 characters.

83 comments:

  1. What a stupendously amazing project...I am definitely up for this...can't wait!
    (and I will finish my 52 pages for 2011, not necessarily this year ha!) :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really looks like fun - but I know there is no way I could get started until February/March time as I've got some heavy commitments until then. No reason I couldn't join in a bit later though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like great fun - such a good idea! I'm going to do my best to join in this year. Love the new Christmassy header too. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!!! Would love to join in:)
    Hopefully I can keep up. Getting excited already.
    May even attempt my book to keep them in using kirstie allsops tutorial on episode 8 shows how to book bind :)
    Nicki. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Nick Bantock's books..seriously considering this challenge, Darcy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is going to be awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like an awesome project Darcy..xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds wonderful! It reminds of The Lake House with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. I LOVE that movie! I wish I could do this but I have a hard time journalling on a postcard let alone telling a story. I'll just have to experience this through all the wonderful stories you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee,I'm the same way but I was thinking of just doing the art part not the journaling. Perhaps that would work for you too?

      Delete
  9. sounds AMAZING, count me in wooohoooo so excited xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOhh this sounds great! I haven't read or even heard of the books, will see if I can find them in ebook-form.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forgot to say, it reminds me a bit of a book I read when I was in my pre-teens, called 'Nachtpapa' ('Night dad'). It was about a girl who's mum was a nurse in a hospital, who often had to work at night. So for the nights she wasn't at home, she got a babysitter for her daughter. A writer who would sit at the kitchen table writing a book about stones...
    The man and the little girl start leaving letters for each other, and from that point onwards, the book is just their letters back and forth.

    I borrowed it from the library and kept taking it out over and over again. I was so sad when one day it disappeared...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm familiar with the books but don't own them. Love your idea and would love to join you...as a writer, mixed media artist and lover of traveling, I could not have found a better project! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. for the button to work Darcy, I used
    http://art-and-sole.blogspot.com/p/postcard-challenge-2012.html
    first then right clicked on the button

    this seemed to work better than replacing the symbols as suggested

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having spent the best part of this year giving away MY art materials to my two uni sons with the rest of my clan joining in, I've spent the last two weeks replacing them whilst prices are dropping for Christmas so I'm definitely in this as I love the sound of it and have a couple of character ideas instantly during reading your post :)

    Now to find a suitable book to put them all in ........ may have to go with something altered that I've been ripping to shreds during Amy's Altered Books class this week as it probably still has enough pages and as its no where near finished I can adapt it now.

    Thanks for posting this early enough Darcy

    H xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darcy, did you know my other love was writing? teehee. This is a cool project, I'm very committed next year with online workshops/life book etc., But - this is SO up my alley that I can't say no to joining. Do you have to join from the beginning, or can one join in mid way thru? Like I might like to do 'longer' stories but maybe only 6 - one for each month x 2 characters? Will that be ok?
    Ooh sounds fun, keep me informed please. DM on twitter if there is something i need to know.
    Thanks for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! What an amazing idea! I look forward to reading the stories and appreciating the hard work and time involved :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what an intriguing idea-and I love your book too. I'm not sure I could commit to this-but I am going to try to make a similar book for another 52 project I'm going to do. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful book! Thanks for sharing the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful idea... so inspirational!
    I'm planning to participate.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is TOO cool, Darcy! I am so wanting to do this. Must get started on my book and cards.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super idea Darcy - might only do every few weeks as doubt I'd get round to one every week - but I'll try - maybe somepoint in the year they fall out and thats why there is a break in the correspondance!?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Saw this thru Amy's butterfly effect.... I have those books and LOVE them, I love all of nick Bantock's books. I have to join in, will start preparing now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Darcie - Love to join BUT where could I post my entries if I do not blog?
    Joyce (Fotojoy)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Darcie!

    This sounds like so much fun and a great exercise to get me writing again. You got my mind a going! What a great way to use poetry too in the writing.

    Thanks so much!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kathy H (grafxkat)13 December 2011 at 18:29

    Oh Darcie I want to play! I love Nick Bantock, and have all his books. Now who will be my characters, and where are they from......

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW - this sounds amazing..noticed it on Janey's FB post and am glad I investigated...I'm due to finish the second module of a masters degree this month and then taking a study break so hoping to have much more time to craft and this would be just perfect ! Love it...off to cut postcards!! Esther x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great idea Darcy! I love the Griffin and Sabine books. Not sure I can commit to one a week but I am in and will do what I can. So I'm thinking, thinking, thinking on my characters, must be some intrigue involved...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. On reflection I'm thinking this might be a bit too much of a commitment for me, will watch with interest what everyone gets up too :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Darcie! I love this idea! I can't wait to be a part of it! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. cheated and looked before I finished the 52 pages, ha ha, I have just the (storage) book, and characters! and it will be one awesome Christmas present for someone next year...

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is supper gorgeous, I am going to think about it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  32. well after the annoying afternoon getting the book cover boards off a readers digest to use with the backing papers Harvey and I made with shaving creme, I decided to abandon that idea as the pages were too long for the cover and I didnt want to cut them, I searched lots of boxes still packed from our house move 13 weeks ago and found another book to demolish. Boards have been cut, edges sanded, gesso and covered, drying on the radiator, signatures made, envelopes stuck on, holes, eyes failing so I'll sew them together tomorrow Darcy. Lots of fun though and I'm so looking forward to seeing all the countries being announced each week. Thank you for hosting this, its already fab :) Will post the book photos on my blog on Thursday or Friday when its finished. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have decided I am in and can't wait to start Darcy! How do we know what blogs to visit? I am new to this kind of thing so forgive me for being a bit stupid. I am going to grab the button now.
    ManonX

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a brilliant idea! Definitely count me in ... :0)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Found this from Esther's blog and after reading the post I am definitely in. Can't wait to make my book for the postcards and grabbing my button now. Wahoo let the fun begin.

    Hugs Shirley x x

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have prepared my book and cut watercolor paper to postcard size. I now have 52 black postcards ready for painting and writing! Excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love this idea. Can't wait to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love your idea. Will do my best to keep up. I have an old Christmas post card from my Gram's sister-in-law (I think it is dated 1923). I love just looking at it. And will put it somewhere in my book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I joined your page so I can watch this happen. What an exciting project!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is a truly wonderful idea! I was referred to your website for the first time by someone who shared this on an art journaling group I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Awesome idea!! Sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow what a fab idea,I love the whole concept :-) I've popped over from Shirley's blog and will join is as much as work permits.
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hey Darcy, Thought I'd letcha know I'm pimping ya out to my readers. Here's the link if ya think of anything else ya'd like me to pimp for ya let me know. http://poeception.blogspot.com/

    Hugs, Poe

    ReplyDelete
  44. love this idea and want to join in thanks for what will be. sounds like an interesting project and fun

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yay! I'm In! Sounds like fun and I've got my characters. Thanks for doing this!
    bren47 - ElegantTangle

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm really looking forward to this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  47. BRILLIANT idea - I ADORE Nick Bantock's books. Really want to join in - I'll just have to see if I can get myself organised enough...........;o)

    x
    ps I popped over from Gina's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  48. What an intelligent and innovative challenge! Thank you! Absolutely love the concept and would be delighted to be a part of it. Please add me to the bloggers that are taking part.
    Shena Meadowcroft
    http://www.byshena.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. This sounds wonderful and I would love to join in just not sure if I am disciplined enough to keep up with it:) Definitely appealing:)
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi! Sounds good, am I too late to join in? Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  51. Joining in as well..

    Looking forward to a fun adventure...

    Jhay

    ReplyDelete
  52. I'm definitely joining in with this brilliant project! My first postcard is finished and I'm just sorting out the book for them to go in.

    Please add me to the list of artists taking part - thank you Darcy!

    x
    http://fiddlesnips.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Just wanted to drop by and say hello. I also have the Griffin and Sabine books and they are by far, my most treasured items. I was so surprised to see someone else mention them.
    Love your blog and I will continue to follow you.
    Peace
    Ro

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi Darcy...What an interesting and unique challenge! (Found it through Jo - Fiddlesnips blog) Am I too late to join in? Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  55. I just heard about this and thought Oh I have to do this and then fear stepped in saying can I do this. I think it will really make be grow and will be a challenge but I am not one to back down from a challenge and I loved the Griffin and Sabine books and I am just so excited about the prospect of doing this. So please add me to your list. http://thequeenofcreativity.blogspot.com I am off to start thinking about my characters.

    This is such an awesome idea, thank you.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  56. this is so super cool!!!!! what a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I hope it's not too late to join in the fun. I'll get caught up shortly. Thanks for this awesome project!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. I am painting a wee postcard this minute. I'll be joining in this adventure once a month. This is such a fabby idea. *smiles* Norma

    ReplyDelete
  59. Oh yummy, scrumptious and delicious! I didn't think I needed one more project when Lisa Wright gave me your link...but this sounds totally...well...yummy, scrumptious and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Just popped over from Halle, oh my what a distraction this project is!! what a totally inspired idea, not sure I can resist... Mx

    ReplyDelete
  61. Just found you via 'Crafty Womble' making a comment on another blog. Sounds like fun. can't commit to weekly but certainly interested in taking part. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Just found the challenge and am jumping in!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Just read about this and might need to play catch up at some stage as I am away at the moment. Going to try to join in. Thanks for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Please add me... Amy said it was awesome on her blog, so I reckon she's right... I have posted by postcards now...now I have to go find your linky, that sounds a bit rude, but you know what I mean :/ Very cool challenge Darcy!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Is it too late to join in? What a beautiful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Hi Darcy,
    HArd to find a place to contact you...would love to join in at this late date. I just found out about you and your group project...love it!! WHat do you think?

    Hugs,
    Abby
    lazaraj@twcny.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  67. Hi Darcy,
    WOW! I just found you through a YouTube video. You rock to come up with such an exquisite challenge! I am joining and hope to be caught up by the end of next week (March 18/12). I am creating a blog for this also. I was looking for ways to create freely and this is just up my ally. I also love to write bits and pieces. Now I am going to check out your postcards and list the countries, I have to work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome Candace, good to have you aboard. Check out our facebook group too if you want to chat or ask questions. x

      Delete
  68. I would love to join in but I ma a bit late, is that okay?

    ReplyDelete
  69. It's June... would it be okay if I jump in? I'll jump in where we are & may do some of the others from before...

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to comment on your blog but it wont let me, hope you see this here..

      aww sorry about your dog. x

      yes you can jump right into the postcard challenge at any point, play catch up if you want to but you don't have to, just start from now.

      I announce the country on a sunday or monday and then we all link up on Fridays x

      there s also a fb group x

      Delete
  70. Weird that my blog wouldn't let me comment... glad I can jump in! Still working on the details & I guess what I'll do is start from now & jump around on the ones I've missed...

    Thanks for doing this, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  71. I'm committed to a year long workshop but I would love to do the art part of this project. Do you have a prompt list started somewhere or do you just announce weekly? I might have to wait until January 2012 to get going on this wonderful art challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click on the postcard button at the top of the blog and scroll down you will see the list of countries. Clicking on the 52 pages button will give you the prompt list for last year.

      Delete
  72. This sounds so cool! Wish I had seen it at the beginning of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  73. I love this idea! I am pretty new to the scrapbooking/art journaling world but I have been interested in art in many forms and writing since before college days in the 70's. I am going to jump in and see what i can accomplish by the end of the year. Every day starts a new year for me and I am grateful for each one. Thank you so much for sharing this idea. (and I am grateful to Sheri for telling me about it)

    ReplyDelete