Sunday, 20 November 2016

Quick Cards

Evening all, sorry I have been missing. I shall catch up with you all soon and tell you what I have been up to. 

For tonight though please do pop over to the PaperArtsy blog and see how I created these quick cards. 

The backgrounds on these cards are done just with promarkers, also if you go and see the post you will see how I made my own  Baker's twine.. 

Darcy x

Saturday, 29 October 2016

More Inktober

'I haven't managed to keep up with these every day, but here are a few more. These ones use Pitt pens in various shades of grey, one uses coloured ink and 3 are just done with ball point pens (Bic) 

I received a message on twitter from the online magazine CNN Style, I believe they are a part of the TV channel CNN. ( Cable News Network)   They wanted to run an article about the origin of Inktober and the reasons why people around the world join in each year. Initially they wanted to ring me to conduct an interview, but as I was at uni I asked them to email the questions and I would reply asap with photos. 

A week later and one of my Intober sketches ended up in their article, how cool is that!
You can see it  HERE follow that link and scroll to the last image in the slideshow. 




Darcy x

Tuesday, 25 October 2016

Studio project 1

As promised here are the final photos from my first studio project. 

So as you already saw I was working on tea bags, the project took about 130 tea bags in total. 

On single bags I painted leaves, just using black and white gesso. 

These were then stitched together by machine to make a giant tea bag, to give it dimension I then filled it with dried leaves from the tree outside my house. 

I also made a papier mache spoon, covered it with Grunge paste and painted it, this had a single tea bag leaf added. 

More tea bags were glued into groups of 4. 

These had tea related images painted on in a silhouette style. 

Some were left plain black while others had white highlights added, all the silhouettes had little labels attached. 

When it came time to display the work I added stripes to lining paper and pinned these strips to the wall. 

Then it was time to gather all my silhouettes. 

These were glued to the wallpaper using Golden gel. 

Finally the giant tea bag and spoon were displayed. 

This is a video of a live Periscope that I filmed when the project was half way installed. 

A tea party for one.. makes me want to bake cake just looking at it. 

Darcy x

Sunday, 23 October 2016

Tiny Teabag Sketches

As I had amassed a bagful of tea bags, I decided to do some tiny animal sketches. They are so quick and easy to do. All I used were Derwent charcoal pencils and a little gesso. 

Charcoal is very smudgey and as such very forgiving, you don't need to be very neat or accurate.. 

I mounted each onto a piece of neutral/beige card. 

and wrote the sentiment on a piece of old book page..( I use the centre text of pages for collage but I keep the plain margins from book pages to write sentiments or stamp text.. )

I used a fountain pen for this but you could stamp your text. 

Then I mounted each animal and sentiment onto a card blank, 

They really don't need anything else, I guess this is my way of doing CAS, something I find impossible in paint. 

I really like them, they are sweet, and with a simple 'hello' greeting they can be used for any occasion. 

Monday, 17 October 2016

Inktober Day 8 - 14

Here are some more of my #Inktober ink sketches.. 

Day 8 

Day 9 

Day 10 

Day 11

Day 12

Day 13 

Day 14 

All but the last one are done with Elegant Writer pen, spritzed with water. The last one is done with Dr. PH . Martins ink and a fountain pen { Lamy}


Friday, 14 October 2016


Every year during the month of October artists the world over come together to use the hashtag #inktober and share their artworks created using ink. 

See the blog of Jake Parker for more info. 

Here are my first week's worth of inky scribbles. I barely have time to join in as I am so busy, so these really are scribbles. 

I wanted to try out my Elegant Writer pen and a water spritzer.. so all my pieces so far use these. 

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Some subjects suit this better than others, I have also varied the amount of water used. It has been interesting watching these scribbles melt and blend, some went disastrously wrong and disappeared completely. 

My favourite by far from this batch is number 7 the tree. 

Darcy x

Wednesday, 12 October 2016

Studio Project 1

My first art assignment at uni is to do 101 drawings!!! 


I had to start quick, and keep up momentum, also not get carried away with making each one perfect.. otherwise they just wouldnt get done. 

I decided to work on tea bags, and draw leaves. I may or may not do all 101 this way.... other ideas keep popping in my head.. the finished project is due on 17th October, but as I write this I still have a week to go, so plenty of time to make changes. 

I will let you know how I get on and if my project changes along the way. 


Sunday, 9 October 2016

Tiny Time Machine

Tonight I am on the PaperArtsy blog with a little assemblage. The brief was to use die cuts, and I really wanted to see just how sturdy they could be when stacked and glued in multiples. 

I had no project in mind for this one, I was just playing around with balancing them to see how they looked. In the end the whole thing looked like some strange navigation tool, and that made me think of a time machine. 

Pop over to the PaperArtsy blog to find out how it all came together. 

Darcy x