Sunday 1 March 2015

Calendar Challenge 2015 : March

Hi everyone, it's calendar link up time again. Fabulous entries last month from everyone, amazing and very clever pages. If you missed any pop back and follow the links from HERE. 

So the rules for March were 

1.. Keep a part of the original picture and incorporate that into your design
2, Technique -  use a candle or wax crayon as a resist
3. Add a title, using letters or words cut from a magazine/leaflet in a ransom style.
4. Blog your calendar page and link up from March 1st 2015

Here is my page at the start, it is the Girl with a Pearl Earring. To me is is dark and dull, but I do like her face. 


First I used a dark brown mixed with a little black to blank out the title. Then I used a Lin Brown stencil and a wax crayon to create my resist. 


I then painted rays of colour around her head, using a variety of blues and greens. once the paint was dry i rubbed it gently with a baby wipe and the paint that is sitting over the wax crayon just lifted away. To be honest I was a little disappointed, it was a much fainter pattern that I had oped for.. maybe I didn't use enough wax?


As I said I really liked her face, so decided to leave it for the most part, but to leave it entirely would have made it look out of place next to the paint. So taking ink colours that were very similar to the shades on the face, I stamped this tiny motif from my new stamp set, EDY11 all over her. 




I then outlined her with a black pen and doodled over the lines. 


Along the sides I stamped my new chevron stamp from EDY14. My new stamps are available NOW from your favourite PaperArtsy stockist. 


and at the top I added the leaf background stamp from EDY12



At the bottom I stamped some of the leaves and stems from the above sets. All the stamps were coloured in using Fibralo pens. 


I painted around the grid on the bottom page using blues and greens like the top page. 


I then painted some tissue paper, and stamped the chevron over that. I cut them out carefully and glued them in random places on the bottom grid. 


I also added the doodled stitching to match the doodling on her face. 


Now to add text.. Rule 3 says to add words or letters cut from magazines in a ransom style. 


I glued on the letters and words and then outlined them with black and white paint. 


For the planner page, I stamped out these numbers and days of the week from HPXT06, this is a new stamp and oh so useful for this challenge. These stamps are available NOW  from your favourite PaperArtsy stockist. 



The days of the week  and the numbers were all mounted onto black paper and then glued to the grid. 


Finally I stamped the March text from this set.. HPXT07,  another fabulous new stamp. 




 and the bottom grid is finished. 


The whole calendar page is now done.. Really pleased with this one, about half way through I did not like it at all, but then suddenly it all came together. 



Hope you like it, don't forget to link up your March pages and go visit each other. 

Before you do that take a note of the rules for next month.. 

Rules for April. 

1.. Keep a part of the original picture and incorporate that into your design
2, Technique -  use drips and splatters
3. Add - a repeating shape or word as many times as possible
4. Blog your calendar page and link up from April 1st 2015




14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous transformation Darcy, i especially love how you stamped all over her face, looks like a filter from a phone App i use, very effective.

    Off to get thinking cap on:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the textural elements of your girl...this was a fun texture to play with!! Great art as usual! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new background particularly, the rays coming from behind her. great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fascinating to watch your transformation! Love the wax resist and the over Stamping! Fabulous! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow-another gorgeous one. I LOVE the subtle stamping on the face. I also was disappointed in my crayon resist. I tried crayon, candles, and beeswax, and all were disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful transformation, love all the doodling on her face and the grid too. Will have to get started on my page soon! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that painting so was a little concerned at the beginning but wow you did a fab job! Love the transformation!
    C xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know where I have been but this is a wonderful idea - any old calendar would work since you gesso over the dates and keep the squares. I love this idea and have just the calendar to do it with. FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your do over makes me see her as Mary Magdalene in "Jesus Christ Superstar" :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW wow wow totally loving this page, I love how you worked on her face, so unique and the background is awesome. The ransom style words really pop, never thought of using them like this, but the great thing about your challenge I am getting to learn some fab techniques. Happy Art :-) Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That looks amazing! I love what you did on her face ^ the background is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It did really come together!!!! Very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous effect on her face and just loVe that background! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohhhh I love her!!!

    (i'm currently working on mine will link up soon'age)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete