This sample was done with JO FY 9
First I took a piece of A4 card, smooth white 160gsm. I lightly sketched out my design, not in any detail, this step is just for placement. I painted clear gesso over the sketch.
Second step is to block in some colour. I used craft paints as they give a nice matte finish which is great for adding further layers. I brushed on some pastel colours around the outside.
I then took a piece of old floor mat, and used it as a stencil.
Next I inked up only the head of one of the flowers, I chose the large one that has text inside it. I used this around the edge. ( using black Archival ink) I also used one of the leaf stamps in several places using Desert Sand Memento ink. These are barely visible later, but they do add a subtle layer.
Next I blocked in the hair area, again not being too careful, this is just underpainting.
For the face I used Caran d'Ache neocolor water soluble crayons to block in the face and to start the shading. I didn't want to do anymore to the face at this point. I knew that I would be using a lot of ink, and doing some fiddly stamping in the hair and there was a chance of ink getting onto the face by mistake, so I decided to leave the face till last, that way I could cover any ink that strayed onto the face.
Next stage is to knock back the background colours, just using some white acrylic on a brayer..
Then I began to add the flower heads and leaves to the hair. Looks complicated, but really it isn't, however it is a little time consuming. I masked off the flower stems on the stamps using clear tape. Then I stamped each of the flowers and leaves onto scrap paper and cut them out. I used these spares as masks,laying them over the stamped images as I went around the hair.
Here are my 'masks' that I used over and over all the way around the hair
Next I began the really fun job of colouring in the flowers. I decided to use Letraset aquamarkers, as they are lovely and bright and blend easily over the top of the matte painted background. For these leaves I went around the edge with a dark green, added a medium green on one side and filled in and blended with a light green.
The colouring was so much fun I forgot to take photos.
Finally I could fill in the face and bring her to life. I continued to use neocolors for the shading, but I did use Aquamarkers for the eyes.
I chose another of the smaller stamps and added this bubble effect as a border around the page.
I coloured the bubbly border with Aquamarkers, and stamped the text using black Archival ink onto smooth white printer paper.
I used Aquamarkers around the edges of the text pieces before gluing them to the page and adding a shadow under them. I also added a little of the neocolours to the very edge of the page, blending it inwards just over some of the bubbles.
I added a little graphite shading between the flowers and a thin outline with a grey aquamarker around the whole image, just to make it lift from the background.
The final shading on the face was done with a regular old graphite pencil, lightly scribbling and blending with my finger. Because I had used water soluble mediums I sprayed the whole thing with a very light coat of satin varnish.
I hope you have enjoyed seeing the process, come by tomorrow to see the extra photos of sample number two, the vases of flowers.